Saturday, April 27, 2013

Grant's Family Reserve - Drinker's Review


Grant's Family Reserve
Scotch Whisky

Character – 8
Finish – 7
Taste – 6
Value – 7
Overall - 7




Here is a specimen of modest means.


With the unique bottle and the bold label, you've probably seen this
one somewhere in the middle shelves as you were going for the other
Scotch that you wanted.  I’ve done the same thing several times.  But,
feeling bold and seeing that the brand was marked down, I took the
opportunity to try something new.

Perhaps as a calling to my college days, as well as my jitters about
an unknown sip, I chilled the bottle before drinking.  Poured over the
rocks.

First sip was surprisingly pleasant.  The smoothness of the blend
makes for a delicate entry, and there was a nice lightness to the
drink.  There is a noticeable vanilla note, which I consider the
defining aspect of the whisky.  But there are also notes of woodiness,
fruitiness, as well as a few sweet florals.  The overall experience is
therefore complex, but not unpleasantly so; a fairly polished blend.
Finish was not the smoothest, but certainly good for a non-premium
bottle.

Overall, quite good.  I would buy it again.  Highly recommended for
scotch drinkers who don’t want to spend $30+ on a bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment